Saturday, August 21, 2010

Boatload of Anthropologie Reviews

Hi, my lovely readers, how are you doing? I hope you're all enjoying your weekend!

Been kind of MIA all week, as things were super hectic at work and I was fighting a mild bug for much of the week. Since I'm feeling like myself once again, I couldn't wait to get out and check out what's going on at Anthropologie. Yes, that means new fitting room reviews!!!!

One of the main reasons I headed downtown today was to seek out the Pittore Dress by Moulinette Soeurs. The gorgeous watercolor pattern and lovely fall color palette really caught my eye when I first spotted this dress. A few bloggers have already reviewed this item, so I knew that it was a classic sheath dress that would potentially be disastrous on my pear-shaped frame. I grabbed the size 2 and off to the dressing room I went.

First, the good points...the pattern on this dress is just as lovely in person, and the fit wasn't quite as bad as I feared it would be. It did run tight in the hips and was loose in the bust, but the overall silhouette was still pretty flattering. Still, something about this left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. Even if it had fit me perfectly, I would still probably pass on it. It's just one of those dresses that I like, but don't love. I didn't feel that the warm tones flattered my complexion and at $168, it's just way too expensive for something that doesn't wow me.







Next, we have this gorgeous, amazing Phlox & Coral Coat from Plenty by Tracy Reese. Readers, I cannot say enough good things about this coat!!! It's truly a statement piece that can be worn for many years to come. The ivory embroidery (not white as it appears on Anthro's website) is just so beautiful, and I love the sharp contrast against the black canvas and coral velvet trim. I tried on the size 0 and found it to be a perfect fit, despite reviews indicating that this runs much smaller than normal. I will say that if you plan to layer up big time in the fall, it may be best to reach for the next size up, but I plan to stick with the 0. Fantastic quality and super well-made. Truly an investment piece that I feel is well worth the steep pricetag.







Another item that I was dying to try on was the lovely Bellerby Skirt by Elevenses. After seeing this on Maria from Infinite Whimsy, I instantly fell in love with it. The material is a very thick, heavy and lovely dark tweed interspersed with turquoise threads, and the shape is to die for. I felt super sexy in this skirt, even though it was extremely form fitting. I tried on both a 2 and a 4, and while the 2 didn't leave me with an extra inch of room, the 4 was huge in the waist and hips and the skirt lost its shape completely, so I would definitely stick with the smaller size. This one will be coming home with me very soon!







On a lark, I grabbed this cute little sweater coat and threw it on (size XS). Even on the rack, I realized it wasn't really my style. I found it to be pretty baggy on my frame, plus I wasn't really feeling the drab background color. Cute pattern, though, and the collar is adorable. Pass for me, though! (Kirklees Sweater Coat by Guinevere)







In addition to the newer fall items, I also was curious about the Dagmar Dress by Maeve. This dress has such a striking pattern and the color is gorgeous, so it's really a shame that it's such an ill-fitting dress. I went with a size 2, and found it to be completely shapeless. Perhaps I should have tried a zero, as well, but it was already feeling tight in the shoulders and my bustline was stressing the buttons, so I can't imagine the 0 really working either.

This dress is just a silly design to me...the waist is way too high (and I'm not that tall, people!), the sleeve length was odd, and the skirt was way too big. I felt like I was trying on a doll's dress. Such a shame, because I could totally see that pattern and lovely red shade working beautifully on a dress of another design! I really wanted this one to work for me, so I even considered pairing it with a belt, but I suspect it's a lost cause.







I also got a chance to check out the Precious Poppy Cardigan and the Rushcliffe Cardigan, both of which are amazingly gorgeous. Unfortunately, my store had neither of these in an XS, so I couldn't do a proper review for you guys, but I highly recommend both sweaters. I'm planning to pair the Precious Poppy Cardi with my Violet Gloaming Dress, which is a stunning combination.

I'll leave you all with my OOTD. It was super humid and sticky here in the Big Apple, so I threw on this cute little summer dress in an effort to stay as cool as possible.



Hope you ladies enjoyed this latest round of fitting room reviews! See anything that you like? Opinions are always welcome!:)

Have a fabulous Sunday!

7 comments:

  1. Chrissy,

    Yeah! You know I love the Phlox and Coral Coat. It looks amazing all nicely taylored on you. But so sad that the reviews misled me to size up to the huge 6. Now I am going to have to return the coat and re-order a 4. And I am wondering if I should go with a 2 to get the fitted look I wanted. My normal dress size would be a 4. We don't layer much in CA in Winter.

    I love that Bellerby Skirt on you. The ruffle at the hemline totaly makes the skirt. I hadn't noticed it online. Will have to check it out.

    I loved the Kirklees Sweater Coat online when I first saw it. But I had the feeling it was one of those sweaters that would be shapeless.
    And the colors are drab. Not you or me for that matter.

    To bad about the Dagmar Dress. The print and color is gorgeous. I am not a fan of shirtdresses, but I do have a few that I love. I always find that gaping in the chest area is a huge problem.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, even in the 0, I honestly had plenty of room, so you may want to give that 2 a try! How are your shoulders, narrow or broad? I will say stick with the 4 if they are broad.

    I'm thinking I still want to check out the Dagmar Dress in a 0 just to be 100% sure it won't work. It may be like the Beda Dress, which I initially tried on in a 2 and passed, but found that a 0 worked fine. I really adore the color/pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay I love absolutely everything that you tried on. The first outfit is probably my favorite but that gray skirt makes me swoon ahh. Such great picks.

    http://wearingitonmysleeves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. that Tracey Reese coat is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Phlox & Coral Coat on you! Too cute!

    <3,
    natasha @ twenty-something blog
    http://poshxoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love that skirt. It fits your perfectly.

    ReplyDelete